- Feed chicks 5% of their body weight at a time.
- Warm food before feeding, ideally to 38°C. Use a thermometer and warm in a water bath as a microwave can cause hot and cold spots.
- Hygiene is very important! Make food fresh for each feeding. Clean all feeding equipment. Use a new syringe for each bird.
- Immediately after feeding, wipe any spilt food away with a damp cloth.
Basic nestling diet for sparrows, finches, starlings and song thrushes
- 1 cup Purina Pro Plan Kitten Chicken and Rice dry kibble
- 1¼ - 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg white (Best Bird Egg Powder)
- ½ teaspoon Avi-Era Bird Vitamins or similar i.e. Vetafarm brand
- 1,850mg Calcium Carbonate Powder (Vetafarm brand)
Soak kibble for 20-30 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.